Documents You Need for Permanent Residence

For the submission of your residence application you are required to present the original documents. These documents will be returned to you on acceptance of application.

Along with the original documents, a copy of these documents must be submitted.

Documents to be submitted

  1. Passport
  2. Medical Certificate and Tests
  3. Police Record
  4. Proof of Financial Stability
  5. Photographs
  6. Spouse and Child’s Documentation


A valid passport must be presented.

The passport must indicate an arrival date to Belize, the arrival stamp must be at least from one (1) year prior to submission of application.

If your current passport does not have the required stamp your previous passport(s) must be submitted that indicate the date of Arrival in Belize.

All accompanying dependents, spouse and children, must adhere to the above condition.

Medical Certificate and Tests

The Medical Certificate

The medical certificate refers to the Residence Medical Examination Form that needs to be completed by a Licensed Medical Practitioner here in Belize.

The applicant and accompanying dependents (spouse and children 16 years of age and above) must submit and individual preliminary medical examination form.

The Preliminary Medical Examination Form need to be signed and stamped by the examining physician. The stamp must be of the hospital or medical centre.

HIV. VDRL and TB Tests

The HIV, VDRL and TB Test must be submitted by applicant and accompanying dependents (spouse and children 12 years of age and above).

Police Record

You and accompanying dependents (spouse and children 16 years of age and above) must submit an individual police record from Belize.

The police record is only valid for 6 months from date of issue.

Proof of Financial Stability

In order to qualify for residence status in Belize you are required to proof to the Immigration Office that your are financially stable. You must indicate that your are able to financially sustain yourself and any dependent during any period while you were residing in Belize.

You may qualify for Financial Stability if you are

  1. Employed by a business in Belize
  2. Employed by an individual in Belize
  3. Employed or receiving income outside Belize
  4. Self-Employed
  5. You are a Volunteer
  6. You are a Missionary
  7. If Retired
  8. If your are being Sponsored
  • You should provide a copy of your bank account statements. Statements can be from a local banking institution, foreign banking institution or both.
  • If you don’t have a bank account, you must submit a declaration explaining your access to funds while in Belize.
  • If you are employed, you must provide
    • letter of employment from their employer attesting to the time that they have been employed, their present position in the respective establishment and salary.
    • you should provide, from the Belize Social Security Board, a record of Social Security contributions made on your behalf by any and all employers.
  • If you are a proprietor of a business, you must provide
    • proper licensing and registration relative to the operation of that enterprise.
    • you should provide a recent Business Tax Assessment from the Belize Tax Service which indicates the income generated by that enterprise over a reporting cycle.
  • If you are being sponsored, you must then show means of support from
    • someone to whom a relation can be proven and,
    • an individual that holds a legal status in Belize.

For details list of document you need to submit see Residence Application Guide


You and your dependents must provide 2 photographs each with the following specifications

  • size of 2 x 2 inches
  • taken within the last 6 months
  • white background
  • facial front view
  • no sleeveless

Spouse and Child’s Documentation

  1. Only a legally married spouse can be included on same application, common-law partners must apply separately.

If spouse is accompanying you

The following documents must be submitted

  1. Registered marriage certificate.
  2. Income Tax Letter

If your spouse is not gainfully employed 

  • a letter of financial support must be included in application

If your spouse is gainfully employed

  • his/her Temporary Employment Permit and all relative supporting documentation must be submitted
  • Social Security Card

If child is accompanying you

The following documents must be submitted

  1. Letter of financial support
  2. Birth Certificate
  3. Letter of Authorization/Consent from parent not making the application and copy of that parent identification.
    Notarized Authorization Letter if parent is not in Belize and notarized copy of that parent’s identification.